Since is racing the Philadelphia Marathon tomorrow, I thought I'd wake up early and make him a special breakfast to get his weekend off to a nice start. Perfect opportunity for recipe testing! This morning I tried out a new recipe for Pumpkin Oat Bread and it's baking in the oven as I type. Holy sh*t this house smells good right now. I found and replaced the whole wheat flour with gluten free flour (I used the Trader Joe's Gluten Free Flour Mix). I also omitted the nutmeg because I'm not a fan. The recipe is meant for muffins but I seem to have misplaced my muffin tins during our move (note to self: register for muffin tins) so I decided on a bread instead and increased the baking time from 15 minutes to 40 minutes. It was delicious BUT texture is definitely more appropriate for muffins so muffins I shall make Thanksgiving weekend.
Pumpkin Oat Muffins (Gluten Free)
makes 12 muffins
- 2 cups Gluten Free flour
- 1 cup Gluten Free oats
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk* (I used 1 cup mile + 1 tbsp white vinegar, mixed & set aside for 10 minutes before adding to batter)
- ¾ cup pure pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie puree!)
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ⅓ cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Heat oven to 400° F. Prepare muffin tin with liners & non stick spray.
- In a large bowl of a mixer, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg.
- Add the oats to the bowl
- Mix in the buttermilk (or milk + vinegar), pumpkin, granulated sugar, brown sugar, apple sauce, egg, and vanilla.
- Pour batter into prepared muffin tin
- Bake for about 15 minutes, until the top of the muffins spring back when poked and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Also, tomorrow I'll be heading to Philadelphia to cheer on Robert and few thousand members of our lovely running community at the Philly Marathon. This race holds a special place in my heart. It was my first Half and my first (and only, despite several other attempts) full Marathon and it's got amazing energy! If you're racing or cheering, please let me know so I can spot you and maybe even get your picture for my album. Good luck & race happy!